Things to keep in Mind Before Wearing a face mask
If you are not a part of the medical field, you might never use a mask before. Now in the era of COVID-19 pandemic, it has become an essential part of your daily life.
Properly wearing a mask is very important. As Dr April Bailer from WHO says in a video that “Mask alone give you a false feeling of protection and can even be a source of infection when not used correctly.”
In this world of rumours, you should always follow the guidelines given by trusted sources such as WHO, MOHFW India. I have read the instructions carefully from all the trusted sources and curated a list of crucial things you should take care of before or while wearing a face mask.
The first and most important thing is wearing a clean face mask to prevent the infection. It would help if you always wash your hands before wearing and removing your face mask. So wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer before putting a mask on.
The Perfect Fit
Image Source: Today.com
“These are the areas where the virus can be shed from. Masks should comfortably fit toward the bridge of the nose.” Dr David M. Aronoff, (director of Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s Division of Infectious Diseases)
“Fit matters” you should choose a face mask which has a perfect fit for your mouth. I mean with a perfect fit is, the mask should cover your nose and mouth entirely, and there should not be a gap between your face and the mask.
Steps to Wear a Face Mask
- Check for defects in the mask and make sure it does not have any tears or broken loops.
- Dark coloured position of the mask should be outward.
- If there is a metallic strip, make sure it is positioned against the bridge of your nose.
- If your mask has ear loops, hold them both and wear it.
- If your mask has strips, you should tie the top one carefully followed by the bottom.
- Mould the bendable metallic upper strip to your nose by pinching and pressing it.
- Pull the mask from bottom to cover your mouth and chin completely.
- Make sure you do not touch it after it is positioned.
Things to take care of while wearing a face mask
There are some precautions you should take while wearing a face mask properly.
- Do not touch your mask once it’s secured on your face.
- Make sure your face mask does not dangle or hang from one ear.
- Your face mask should not be hanging around your neck.
- If you touch the mask, make sure to wash your hands afterwards.
- Do not crisscross the ties of the face mask.
- Do not put your cellphone to ears while wearing a face mask.
How to Remove a Face Mask?
Discarding a face mask is as important as wearing it. There are some strict instructions given by health experts for removing your face mask.
There are two kinds of face masks available.
First one is disposable face mask such as surgical masks which are best for one-time use. The second kind of mask is reusable, such as N95 or cotton mask.
- For both kinds of masks, you should take care of these instructions.
- Wash your hands before removing a face mask.
- Make sure you do not touch the face mask directly as it could be contaminated.
- Remove the mask from your face holding by the ties or ear loops.
- Untie the bottom ties first followed by the top one.
- Immediately dump it into a close trash bin.
- Wash your hands after removing the mask and use the hand sanitizer.
- If you are using a reusable mask make sure you wash it properly and dry it in sunlight.
The above-given information has been taken from WHO, and some other trusted health organisations. I hope this information can help you out to use your face mask more effectively. May we all can survive this tough time safely together. If you want to add something, please let me know by commenting below.